Monday, February 1, 2010

You Can't Make Lemonade Without Lemons

I don't always like it when I hear my children repeat things back to me that they've heard me say. They seem to ignore some of what I'd like them to remember while paying strict attention to the stuff I don't even know they're listening to.

Then there's the times they rearrange the words they've heard Audrey or me say. Sometimes the misquotes are cute and funny. Sometimes they're profound.

On one occasion, my daughter Afton was trying to repeat the common saying that "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Only what came out of her mouth was "you can't make lemonade without lemons."

Audrey and I have often reflected on that. It helps us smile and relax just a bit more when the going is rough. No matter what the trial is, the common thread seems to be that if we can somehow keep our wits about us we'll often notice that some of the greatest learning, growth, and breakthroughs in our development happen as a result of the tough stuff.

The trick is trusting that that will be the case even before the batch of lemonade is finished. Then you can face the prospects of the situation with a bit more enthusiasm and a lot less dread.

I heard something tonight that seems to apply: "feeding your faith will starve your fear."

I like that.

We actually got a sip of lemonade today. Talitha had her second sedated hearing test and the results actually IMPROVED over her first test. (Boy, was I relieved and excited.) Her first test showed a problem with the low sound registry and little to no movement of the eardrums. Now, the fluid that was restricting the eardrum movement has begun to dissapate and her low sound receivers are working again. But of most interest--since the chemo she's receiving can impact her mid to high note receptors--Talitha's mid to high range is still in place and has not been diminished from the first induction round!

Thank you--multiplied a thousand times--for your prayers and faith on Tali's behalf. The results of your prayers really are tangible. I hope you are feeling joy. We are.

My prayer is that God will grant each of you great peace and happiness and that he will multiply your joy. What a blessing to know He lives and loves each one of us.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved the lemonade saying. Thanks for the reminder. We love you all so much. Can't even begin to tell you how all of you have given strength to us by the thoughts you share, your actions and your faith. You are always in our prayers.
    The former California Woods

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing Talitha's progress. I have been so touched and inspired by your faith and your love for our Savior. I am amazed at your strength and especially little Talitha's strength as she goes through this trial in life. We will continue to pray for your family. We love you so much!

    Patty and Dave Cockayne

    ReplyDelete