Saturday, June 19, 2010

Grateful for Fathers

In just a few minutes, it will be Father's Day.

I can't help but feel a surge of gratitude for both my Heavenly Father and my dad here on Earth.

I feel especially fortunate to know that I have a Heavenly Father because so many have forgotten this essential reality.

I also feel extraordinarily lucky to have a dad who has been my hero ever since I can remember. He's shown me by example how to live a life of purpose and integrity. God has always been important to my dad, so consequently, God has always been important to me.

It's an awesome responsibility to follow in the footsteps of my dad and be true to my Heavenly Father. I didn't realize how tough it would be enter the world of fatherhood and face the challenges of raising a family through thick and thin.

I'm so grateful to Audrey for taking a chance on me. She's an amazing woman.

And of course, I wouldn't be a father without the children the Lord has blessed me with. With three--soon to be four--teenagers in the home my children mostly think I'm a nerd. But somehow they still love me and put up with me.

And my two non-teenage daughters? Well, they pretty much have me hopelessly wrapped around their little fingers.

Afton, who was the youngest for eight years, gives the best hugs and even calls me on the phone and encourages me and tells me she loves me.

And Talitha? Well, you know all about her. She's been our little surprise angel. She's been teaching me for the better part of her whole life what it means to exercise faith in Jesus Christ and trust God not matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment