Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Stay committed no matter what

I remember being in Europe at age 19 serving as a missionary for my church. During those two years, I faced a number of difficult assignments. Sometimes the tough stuff happened back to back to back...so much so that I wondered if maybe I was getting more than my fair share. Inevitably, I would look back on those challenging spots and think, "I'm glad I had that learning experience but I sure hope I never have to do that again."

I've heard some people think that you get to repeat certain trials until you learn the lesson God intends. Not sure I've ever read anything in the scriptures to support that theory. But I do believe this experience on Earth we call "life" is intended to be a proving ground for better things to come. As such, any combination of trials whether new or repetitive in nature might serve to build or refine.

We find ourselves at an interesting juncture with Talitha. The Consolidation cycles that are about to begin seem both new and repetitive. "New" because there will be different chemo drugs, procedures, and unknown reactions. "Repetitive" because we know what a week of around-the-clock care for Talitha in the hospital setting looks like and feels like. "New" because we don't know what back to back to back weeks look like and feel like. "Repetitive" because we've seen Talitha get really tired and really sick during every cycle.

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." (Galations 6:9)

I'm grateful for learning and growth. Rather than wishing we didn't have a new sequence of cycles beginning on Friday, I want to re-commit myself to being faithful no matter what I'm called to do.

Have we felt the Lord's hand these past months? Yes.
Did He provide a way for us to make it through? Yes.
Is it true that He will not abandon us now? Yes.
Can we trust Him? Yes.
Can we do all things through Christ? Yes.

Talitha is getting a little stronger each day. She was acting her age today which wasn't nearly as annoying as it would have been under different circumstances.

We love her so much it hurts. (And she knows it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment