Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jesus is Coming

A dear friend of ours sent an email to us today with the subject line: Jesus is Coming.

The content of that email brought tremendous peace to my day. But it was the subject line that  really kept my attention.

I had just read the scriptural account of how a group of people heard that Jesus was coming the following day and they "did labor exceedingly all that night, that they might be on the morrow in the place where Jesus should show himself unto the multitude." (3 Ne 19:3)

Every prophet before Christ testified He would come and then Christ himself and every prophet since has promised and prophesied He will come again.

If Christ were coming tomorrow, what would be my reaction throughout today, tonight, and in the morning? I can hardly imagine the surprise I'd feel, then enthusiasm, then desire to see Him.

I'm sure I'd use every communication means at my disposal to spread the word including running up and down the street knocking on doors and yelling like I was Paul Revere or something.

The challenge for me is living each day in faith as if tomorrow really is the big day. It's so easy to get caught up in the pressing matters of this temporary stay on Earth and forget God's plan and purpose for us--His children.

If He was coming tomorrow, I don't think I'd let the stress of work get to me quite like it does. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't worry about a lot of the things I get worked up about.

I guess that's what touched me so much about this email today. It wasn't putting things in the future tense.

I think of how much heavenly support has been with Talitha and our whole family since the week of Christmas last year.  And that made me remember Christ's words to each of us, "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

So, tell the family, neighbors, and friends. Shout it to the whole world.

Jesus is Coming! ...

...AND...

...He's not making us wait for His help but is already blessing, strengthening, and supporting us when we follow Him...right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment