Saturday, July 10, 2010

"Think Positive"

My oldest daughter has been performing in a community theater production of Willy Wonka. I finally had the chance to see it tonight.

In the play, Charlie is a boy whose parents and grandparents are very poor. Things seem to be getting worse and worse financially especially when Charlie's dad loses his job at the factory.

During one particular low point, Charlie sings a song called "Think Positive" that makes an excellent point: since you have nothing to lose, why not think positive and be happy instead of thinking the worse, being negative and down.

I like that.

I need reminders like that, especially on days when it feels like the world is closing in around me.

Getting your hopes up for things can make you vulnerable to feelings of disappointment or even failure if things don't turn out as expected or desired. But I'm not sure that expecting the worse--even as a defense mechanism--is a good alternative as that can lead to cynicism and defeatism.

I really, really like Gordan B. Hinkley's encouraging, hope-full words on this subject:

"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us."

So whatever the trail or challenge--including the upcoming tests to see if Talitha's cancer is gone--I'm going with Charlie's suggestion.

"Think positive. You have nothing to lose. Think positive."

No comments:

Post a Comment