Monday, May 10, 2010

Volunteers

One of the neat things to see at the PCMC is the volunteers. Hardly a day goes by that you don't see volunteers in their red shirts around the hospital.

Perhaps the most noticeable group of volunteers is the therapy dog owners. They come at random times with their specially trained animals to brighten the day of patients and their families.

Talitha loves to see and pet these dogs so we were quite concerned that with her current, restricted status, the four-footed friends wouldn't get closer than the sealed window of her door. Our nurse at the time said, "no" to dog visitors. But a more experienced nurse on the floor noticed that Talitha's room was not marked with the certain restrictions that preclude these dogs so after double checking, Rusty, who like the other dogs is cleaned to be hypoallergenic, was able to visit.

Talitha was SO excited until Rusty crowded her a little too roughly on the floor mat. After that, I had to hold her in my lap on the floor and do all the dog interfacing for both of us.

You can see the banana peel in the picture. Except for a couple bites that Tali took, the rest was gobbled up by Rusty much to Talitha's delight.

I'm so grateful for volunteers both formal and informal that make life better both in the hospital and in our community. What a difference they make!

I think Christ had volunteers in mind when he shared the following parable:

"Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

"Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Matthew 25:34-40

No comments:

Post a Comment